Approved

 

SEAWALK HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION, INC.

BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES

April 20 2020 at 6:30 p.m. - Via Conference Call

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  1. Call to Order/Establish a Quorum
    The meeting was called to order at 6:30 p.m. and a quorum was established with the presence via teleconference of: Dan Cavey: President, Lisa Bevill, Edmundo Gonzalez, Gloria Dongara, Chip Bifano, Karen Goff-Hill and Howard Hochrad.
    Representing MAY Management Services: Brandy Rowe
     
  2. Approval of Meeting Minutes from April 6, 2020 and April 20, 2020
    Chip Bifano made a motion to approve the meeting minutes from 4/06/20 and 4/20/20 as written. Gloria Dongara seconded, and motion carried by all.
     
  3. Manager’s Report: Updates
    Brandy Rowe reported:
    • Update: Pool Repair – part did not come in on time, therefore delaying repair. Item has been received and is scheduled to be repaired today. Brandy will follow up on site tomorrow.
    • Other items on Brandy’s checklist:
      • Gate to beach – reached out to Assist 2 Build. They have been out to assess the gate but have not reported back yet. Waiting on Hardwick fence’s proposal as well.
      • Compliance letters from recent inspection went out today.
      • Palm fronds reported in need of clean up on the Summer House side.
         
  4. Financial Report
    Monthly Financial Update – Chip Bifano provided the Financial Report ending April 30, 2020, which included review of the reserve fund and available funds for the Cabana roof from the insurance settlement. Revenue and expenses variances were discussed.
    Concerned there may be a water leak due to an increase in the Water and Sewer expense for April.
     
  5. President’s Report
    Nothing additional to report. Dan Cavey with report on the Discussion Items and Action Items later in the agenda.
     
  6. Committee Reports
    • Common Area Master Plan – Edmundo Gonzalez
      • Back Gate Wall – Schedule Update
        • Temporary signs are leaning up against the back gate wall. Sign company came today to install the front sign and gave their recommendations for the back gate signs. Received a proposal of $350 to repaint and replace the vinyl letters for the four existing signs. Brand new signs would be $500. Chip Bifano to take lead on this project and offer his recommendation to the Board.
        • Discussion ensued regarding issues with back gate receivers.
      • Cabana/Pool Area-Development of a Project Plan
        • Will need to go through the Cabana proposals to create apples-to-apples comparison and present to the Board.
    • ACC – Howard Hochrad
      • Increased activity over the last month. With a number of approvals for pavers, fences, and landscape.
    • Communications – Dan Cavey
      • Newsletter was well received.
    • Rules and Regulations – Dan Cavey
      • Amendments: Report on Vote: 54 lots voted – Chart below presented for discussion. Although all were received mostly in favor, none of the Amendments had enough votes to pass. Each required 60 Yes votes to pass.
      • June Discussion: Bylaws changes for voting during the annual meeting – borrowing limit; nominations from the floor; ACC election; Others? – Dan will draft and send the items for discussion to the Board prior to next meeting. While an amendment requires 60 Yes votes, Bylaw changes only require a majority of the quorum at a members meeting.
  7. Public Forum – No comments noted.
     
  8. Discussion Items:
    • Fishing in the drainage easements - (Refer to Action Item #1)
    • MAY Management managed website – interested? If so, who can research this option – information received regarding the website, but with no resounding interest this will be tabled.
    • Electronic Voting – Interested? If so, who can research this option? (MAY Management?) – Florida Statue does allow electronic voting, but additional research is needed, and much preparation will need to take place prior to a new policy put into place. Discussion ensued.
    • Continued discussion on car parking at the cabana parking lot: Identification using
    • stickers and mirror hangers for guests. Brandy suggested an enforcement committee could be the enforcement answer. – Tabled until next meeting.
    • Fining policy discussion for consideration for common area rules on first or second violation and/or covenant violations as part of the third notice in lieu of legal action. – Tabled until next meeting.
    • Covenant violations are the usual that MAY Management notices
    • Common area rules would be like yard trash in the street, trash out early, boats parked in the street (common area rule vs covenant rule of parked driveway), unapproved activity in drainage easement, etc.
    • Is there enough interest to draft a policy and motion for further consideration?
    • Note: we cannot vote on this without a special notice to the community about the meeting in which the vote is taken.
  9. Action Items:
    • Motion #1: Authorize the expenditure of up to $900 to get legal advice (from McCabe I Ronsman) on issues related to HOA liability for homeowner actions and activities that occur on common areas and right-of-way easements. First and particularly with regards those easements that lie between the lots and the paved right-of-way where the lot owners have been maintaining the area as their own without any special attention from the HOA. Second to get advice with regards to controlling access to storm water ponds and the banks of those ponds that are being enjoyed for fishing by minors (both supervised and unsupervised) but present privacy ssues to certain homes and possible encounter with dangerous animals. Much discussion ensued. The legal advice will be used as only information and recommendations to the Board. From there The Board will discuss if further action is necessary.

      Dan Cavey made a motion to authorize the expenditure of up to $900 to get legal advice (from McCabe I Ronsman) on issues related to HOA liability for homeowner actions and activities that occur on common areas and right-of-way easements. First and particularly with regards those easements that lie between the lots and the paved right-of-way where the lot owners have been maintaining the area as their own without any special attention from the HOA. Second to get advice with regards to access to storm water ponds and the banks of those ponds that are being enjoyed for fishing by minors (both supervised and unsupervised) but present privacy issues to certain homes and possible encounter with dangerous animals. Gloria Dongara seconded, and motion carried by all.
       
    •  (In order to be true to our covenants with regards to signage and to give MAY Management the permission and guidance not to notice homeowners about graduation and end of school year celebration signs on their lots) Motion #2: Declare the time period from May 18 through and including May 31 as a Seawalk celebration time for honoring graduation seniors and other children moving on to their next level of education.
      Discussion ensued regarding the time period. Some schools may have different graduation dates and residents may want to display the signs at different times. Brandy can note and keep track of how long the signs have been displayed.

      Dan Cavey made a motion to declare a two-week window of celebration of Seawalk celebration time for honoring graduation seniors and other children moving on to their next level of education. Howard Hochard seconded, and motion carried by all.
  10. Adjournment
    With no further business to discuss, the meeting unanimously adjourned at 7:52 p.m.

    Next BOD Meeting will be held June 15, 2020 at 6:30 p.m.